Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Butterfly Birthdays


I could have anticipated the request for butterflies.  If it's not hearts and butterflies, it's princesses and fairies.  She's a stereotypical girl... all ruffles and bows.  And in the last 4 years she's managed to keep me on my toes. For as much as she causes me to want to pull my hair out on a regular basis, the times when she smiles, hugs, kisses, loves, cares, and looks at me begging to snuggle... are the times when my heart bursts with love and I thank God for the gift of my little girl.

While I wish I were the mother who goes all "pinterest" crazy for my children's birthday parties, I realized I just don't have it in me and I need to let it go.  Yes, I saw plenty of fun and cute butterfly themed ideas but for a midweek party, this mommy just didn't have it in me.  I stuck to the traditional birthday banner (in butterflies of course), butterfly cutouts abound, butterfly cupcakes (cherry vanilla almond with cherry buttercream) and wings for party favors.  And while none of it would have impressed even the novice pinterest enthusiast, my girl was happy...  and that's really all that mattered.


No comments: