Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Not So High


To my children it was only a Ferris Wheel... it didn't occur to them that there would be a single person in the world who would be afraid to step aboard... let alone their own mother.  So I tried to be strong for their sake. Which lasted only until we were seated in our "cage" and I felt the contraption moving.  I'm convinced my fear of heights cannot be overcome.  So it's simple... I just haven't tried to overcome it.

I sat next to Brendan, across from Joe and Aubrey as each car can seat 4 people.  With nothing strapping us in and nothing to hold onto except my son or the wire walls of the "cage", I chose the walls.  I didn't want to terrify my children in the process.  But I needn't have worried.  One look at my reaction and they chose laughter over fear.  When Brendan (seated next to me, mind you) turned around in his seat at the highest point and leaned back, causing the cage to rock, exclaiming "Mommy look!  We're so high!  It looks so cool down there!" I fought back tears and lost my stomach.  Joe, stifling laughter himself, finally said "hey buddy... I don't think Mommy wants to look." To which Brendan found even more amusement and said "oh mommy, it's not that bad... it's like you're being the kid and I'm the parent!"

I thought "sure buddy, I'll be the kid for the next 2 minutes if that's what it takes to get me through this ride alive!"

All I can say is... it's a good thing I didn't opt for ultimate bravery and agree to the "moving" cages that swing along a track while the ride moves, no, ours was "stationary"... I won't lie... I probably would have peed my pants...

No comments: