Sunday, August 28, 2011

Braids

The kind that only Nonna can do.



I grew up with a mom who knew how to do hair. French braids, twists, up-dos, you name it. Who needed to go to a salon for dances when Mom knew how to do it all? One time in particular that I remember well was lying with my head in her lap, slowly turning as she french braided from one side to the other. I wore it to school that way and was complimented at every turn.



But for this reason in particular, I had a slight moment of panic when I realized that I wouldn't be able to be a hair dresser for my daughter. A simple braid I can do, pony tails... yes. But french braids scare the heck out of me. So when we were visiting my mom in June and she offered to braid Aubrey's hair I jumped at what might be a once every year opportunity. I'm not even sure how she got her to sit still so long. Cartoons never keep her attention like that for me. But I cherished the moment and almost cried when I had to take them out, knowing all too well that these were braids that only Nonna could do.


No comments: