Monday, October 20, 2014

Just the Two of Us


This boy.  He makes my heart happy.

Joe decided to take Aubrey on a date Saturday afternoon after realizing she was starving for his attention and needed some one-on-one time.  She's a daddy's girl for sure.  So off they went, Aubrey boasting about her special time with Daddy. Of course Brendan was slightly devastated.  "What about me?" he asked sadly.

I told him we could have our own special date.  Just the two of us.  Me and my boy.

So we woke up early Sunday morning in order to make it to early church and I sat pondering what we could do that would make our day feel special.  Joe suggested a picnic so I presented the idea to Brendan and he was thrilled. I packed up some PB&J, carrots and snap peas, peaches and juice boxes. We grabbed a blanket, hopped in the van and headed to the park.  It was one of those unseasonably warm October days.  A little breezy but perfect for a picnic.  I asked him if he wanted to sit at a table or on a blanket in the grass.

"On a blanket!" he exclaimed, "it'll be more fun that way!"

So we spread out our picnic and began one of the best dates I've probably ever been on in my life.  We chatted about life.  He told me about school, his friends, his fears, his achievements, his projects, his dreams.  I listened.  I mean I REALLY listened.  My eyes were not glued to my phone (although sadly it was close, next time I vow to leave it behind... but then I wouldn't have captured this sweet "selfie.") I gave him my undivided attention and he thrived on it.  He finished his lunch before me but continued to chat as he showed me how he makes leaf necklaces when he can't find anyone to play with at recess.  My heart broke a little but he smiled as he linked them together and placed it around my neck.

I watched him play on the playground as I picked up our gear.  His pride at accomplishing the monkey bars is so incredibly sweet to see.  I helped him create an obstacle course which he completed with joy several times over.  We swung on the swings and I laughed harder than I have in as long as I can remember.  We joked, we played, we giggled, we bonded.  And as our date came to an end and we walked back to the van, I hugged him tightly and said "thanks for our date sweetheart... I had such a good time."

"I did too Mommy," he said. "Let's do it again soon..."

I planned this for him never realizing how much I needed it too.

No comments: