Monday, July 30, 2012

Hosmer Lake Kayaking


When we got the idea to bring my 15-year-old niece here for two weeks this summer, I had no idea how challenging it would be to entertain a teenager.  My life is all 3 and 6-year-old entertainment... coloring, swimming, naps and playgrounds.  I felt like a failure on the weekdays when my response to "what are we doing today?" brought a look of apparent indignation.  So it was Joe's mission on the weekend to make her life in Bend adventurous and so deemed Saturday "ADVENTURE Saturday!" a term he used with enthusiasm several times throughout the day.  Though it may not have been her idea of fun, it was better than sitting in front of the TV and an experience she may never have had otherwise.  And despite the act she put on of being "forced" to come along, when the beautiful 2-hour kayak adventure had come to an end she turned to me sweetly and said "thank you."

Never having been to Hosmer Lake, it was a new experience for all of us.  The Cascade Lakes offer so much beauty and serenity... it's hard to believe we've been in central Oregon for 4 years without taking full advantage of all there is to see.  It just makes me think there are so many new adventures still yet to come.

No comments: