Saturday, June 23, 2012

Yours, not Mine

My husband has taken up kayaking.  To those of you who know us well, this is an incredible understatement.  At any given time we probably have at least 6 kayaks hanging in our garage (and occupying my parking space.)  But we rotate supply as this current hobby involves buying, restoring and reselling these precious boats.  The problem lies in the fact that Joe has fallen in love.  With the river and the serenity it has to offer.  And with the boats he originally intended on selling.  He tries to reason with me.

"I want to keep a tandem... and a single... and maybe a second single for taking someone out with me... and then the super fast one that I still need to learn to use... but the rest of them can go..."  Or so he says, until he falls in love all over again.

The problem lies in the fact that it's not so much my passion as it is his.  Although he wishes this weren't the case.  The above photo occurred on one of the handful of days that he coaxed me out to practice for the Pole Pedal Paddle, the relay race here in Bend for which I chose the kayak leg for my women's team.  Yes, I needed the practice.  But no, it wasn't high on my list of desired things to do.

Of course men deserve their hobbies and I'm resigned to the fact that this is his.

Oh, and because of him I ROCKED that kayak leg...

No comments: