Friday, June 22, 2012

This Is What We Found

My good friend Sarah and her boys made the trip out here from Portland to spend a few days with us this past week.  She had planned on coming out last week for Brendan's birthday party but knew that I would be on my own from the 16th to the 30th since Joe would be leaving for annual training.  After thinking it over she asked if I would rather she come for one night for the party or the following week for 4 days.  I opted for the latter... 4 days with our best buddies?  Nothing sounded better.

We had a blast cooking, playing, swimming.  And at the end of the day when the kids were in bed we wound down in front of the TV and talked for hours.  It was therapeutic for me... much better than feeling lonely without Joe.

At one point during the day we found ourselves wrapped up in conversation and realized that silence had ensued.  The boys had been slightly rambunctious, playing dress up, swords and legos so the silence was slightly alarming.  But when we went to investigate and this is what we found, we both stifled a laugh and stood in awe.  These boys are so good for each other...

I was overcome with sadness when they packed up to leave.  She asked me if I wanted them to stay another night and I told her no.  She needed to go home to her husband and I needed to survive on my own.  But as she drove away and tears fell down my cheeks I knew I should have asked her to stay.  One more night would've been great...

I miss my friend...


No comments: