Wednesday, September 5, 2012

First Grade

He's been looking forward to this day for weeks.  The countdown has been intense.  The day has finally arrived and he's off...

I spent most of last night making muffins for breakfast, homemade granola bars for his snack and preparing and packing his lunch.  He woke up with excitement and that sweet, so memorable grin.  Smoothies and muffins for breakfast, comb his hair, brush his teeth, pack his backpack, take some photos and make the short trip that I've so easily come to know by heart.

We pulled into the parking lot, I peered at him in the rear view mirror and winked.  He smiled huge and said "ooohh.... I'm so excited!!"  Aubrey and I walked him in, found his classroom, and helped him get settled.  The anxiety was all mine as I turned to tell him we were going only to find him telling stories to a new friend.  He gave me a quick hug and dismissed me in his sweet 6-year-old way. He didn't need me.  He was fine...  

And first grade has begun...  

No comments: